7 Benefits of Accounting Outsourcing for Small Businesses
We list 7 advantages of accounting outsourcing for business in comparison with a full-time accountant, starting from a more favorable cost of services and ending with a guarantee against errors…

Continue reading →

How to get a valuable employee
Nadezhda Zhivora explains how to attract an effective employee from another company to her: how to identify the “pain points” of a professional, how to formulate the benefits and prospects…

Continue reading →

How I sold cookies to the Russian Army, kindergartens and large chain stores
An entrepreneur from Khabarovsk bought a tiny cookie production line. I found a recipe, put together a team and cheerfully got down to business. And after a couple of months…

Continue reading →

Seven “mortal sins” of the leader, or How not to sin the big boss

20% of the company’s success depends on employees and 80% on the leader. The management style can be different, as well as the tasks of the business itself. But in every business there are general rules that it’s vital for a top manager to know. Nadezhda Zhivora called the seven “deadly sins” of the leader, getting rid of which you and your team will definitely go to a new level
Sin one: “No one can do better than me”Managers very often continue to do everything or much on their own, believing that it is easier and faster to do it themselves than to explain to subordinates.

Why is this problem occurring? What is the root of evil?

No matter how strange it may sound, the first reason is the high expertise of the leader himself and his excellent results at the level of the executor in a specific field of knowledge or in one of the business functions.

This happens if an employee spent most of his career working as an expert in a particular area and as a result gained such a reputation in the company that he was promoted to the head of this area. However, at a new level in his career, he does not possess the skills that he requires as a leader.

The paradox is that no Russian company teaches the skills necessary at a new level in the career ladder. At least that was the case with me. At the level of a good performer, employees are accustomed to the need to do everything on their own, and very rarely encourage delegation. That was 10 years ago, and it is happening now. But when the increase occurs, they demand from the manager already new approaches to the performance of new functions, as if with changing the name of the position on the business card, new neural connections should automatically be built into the heads, designed to provide us with new skills.

But the most difficult problem is that you will always have the feeling that the other person will do the same at least three times worse than you. This is due to the fact that during your work and the development of expertise, you already had an understanding in your head of “how to,” “how to.” There is only one way out of this situation: recognize it as a fact and come to terms with it, do not be afraid to delegate. Otherwise, you yourself will greatly slow down both your development and the development of your business.

The transition from an executing specialist to a manager who manages a group of specialists goes through writing clear instructions for those specialists you will manage. The next stage is the transition from manager to director. At this stage, you prescribe the rules for managers, how exactly they should control your employees, how exactly they should set tasks, what exactly they should check.

The third stage is the transition to the level of a business owner when you consider a business as an investment tool. The business is run by an executive or general director, you only set tasks for him and control once a month the progress of their implementation. This is the height of managerial excellence.

The main task of the manager, when he comes to the office in the morning and looks at the list of his tasks, is to delegate 90%, then look at the remaining 10% and decide which of them can also be delegated.

Sin two: lack of time for managerial functions

Often we see this picture: the first leader does not have time for his direct responsibilities – strategic management.

My personal example. I was promoted to leader, and at some point I realized that the lack of time began to grow in proportion to duties and responsibilities. I spent more than twelve hours at the workplace, but during this time I really did not have time to do anything. All day she was busy with business, but really important things remained untouched.

I began to understand and came across information that each of us has subconsciously built-in strategies for avoiding problems – our brain unconsciously strives for this.

To do something yourself is a small problem, because it takes a little time, especially since we are experts in this (see the mortal sin of leader No. 1). It is a completely different matter to begin to train your employees, to begin to build procedures and regulations so that the system works without the personal involvement of a manager every minute. This is already a really serious, big problem.

And then the choice arises: choose a small problem, but quickly solve it, or a big problem, and there will be no quick results. This is the first.

And the second point is the visible results. When we undertake some large work of a strategic plan, where something complicated needs to be worked out, this requires serious efforts. It is necessary to prescribe regulations, draw up instructions, make templates. This is a lot of work, the results of which can be seen only after a month.

The biggest internal conflict that a manager faces is the desire for quick results and the simultaneous desire for long-term results. Fast contradicts the long-term almost always.

Employees are “muddled”, or How to develop responsibility among subordinates
Recently, managers have been complaining about their staff: the staff makes a lot of mistakes; employees do not think about the consequences of their actions; Workers perform tasks without preparation…


How to increase profit per employee up to 59%
Statistics show that in most domestic companies only 25% of the efforts of employees bring results, and the remaining 75% are useless. How to increase labor productivity in your company…


5 rules to avoid director criminal liability risks
Often, company executives are held criminally liable for actions whose criminality they do not even realize - “ignorance of the law does not exempt from liability”. According to statistics, in…


“The tail steers a dog”, or Three stories of real business
Svetlana Emelyanova, managing partner of STEP Consulting, shares three stories from business practice that describe the resistance of the company's employees to useful changes and innovations, and explains how to…